Personal support workers provide a wide range of important benefits to those who need assistance for daily activities. They work in a variety of settings, which gives each worker an opportunity to develop new skills and work with other skilled professionals.
The following are just some of the benefits of a career in personal support working. These have led to a growing industry that supports members of its community by providing valuable services to their clients.
Who Are Personal Support Workers?
The roles of a personal support worker cover many different responsibilities related to assistance and care for disabled and elderly people. Organizations that use personal support workers include retirement, long-term assistance, and residential facilities.
A skilled personal support worker is able to provide quality service in any given setting. This requires the ability to switch roles and communicate with other members of the health care team.
Having a strong and positive approach to the work, along with the desire to help others, will ensure a long and successful career as a personal support worker.
The following are some other skills required:
- Organization and management
- First Aid/CPR
One of the biggest benefits of a career in personal support working is its long-term stability. The need for personal support workers has grown alongside an increasingly aging population.
There will always be personal care services required by those who can no longer fully care for themselves. Those who need to recover from surgery, injury, or health problems will also need assistance as they heal.
So a career as a personal support worker brings a high level of stability. If you’re looking for a long career that offers time and opportunities for growth, personal support work might be ideal for you.
Personal support workers also have a great deal of flexibility in their work. They have a number of different settings in which they can work. If you prefer to work in a retirement facility, you have the flexibility to choose the work that best suits your needs.
Additionally, personal support work is flexible in the hours required. The services provided are needed at all hours of the day. Therefore, you can work a schedule that works best for you. Many workers use this to devote time to children or spouses.
A career in personal support working has many benefits that include a flexible work environment, learning opportunities, and stability for the future. You can provide invaluable services to those who need it most and have a fulfilling career with greater satisfaction.
About Cestar College’s PSW Program
By applying to Cestar College’s Personal Support Worker (PSW) program, you’re choosing:
- One of the most comprehensive Personal Support Worker curriculums in Ontario, covering all aspects of healthcare available to PSW graduates.
- 700 hours of learning, including 200 hours of Clinical Placement and 110 hours of Facility Placement, giving you the benefits of real-life work experience while still in school.
- A campus conveniently located in Toronto, providing students with access to every amenity possible.
- Small class sizes that foster discussion-based education and provide a welcoming learning environment for all students.
- Dedicated instructors with years of experience who take pride in seeing their students succeed.
- A challenging but rewarding learning experience full of support from all Cestar College faculty and administrators.
For more information about our program, visit our program page today!
Have any questions for us?
Please feel free to contact us. One of our representatives will be happy to assist you!